28 May, 2013

You won't find sincerity on a checklist

During a recent visit to a local shopping centre, I had two exchanges which, for me, highlighted the difference between genuine customer service and working to a script.

Store A: "If that's not the right size, you can bring it back and exchange it."
Store B: "Were you after anything in particular?"

In each case it was the first communication with a staff member and in each case I walked out having formed an opinion on that business.

I had visited Store A to purchase a replacement saucepan lid, which I had spotted on a previous visit. The offer to exchange it if not suitable was made whilst I was paying, and came unsolicited. Though only spending $4, that staff member wanted to make sure I was happy with my purchase. It was a great, and very simple, piece of customer service, which also acted as an invitation to return. I walked out of that store feeling they valued their customers and knowing that if I had a problem, they'd be prepared to help solve it. They have now become a destination store for me. 

The exchange at Store B, the next store I walked in to, came from nowhere. When I say "nowhere", I mean it was made to my back. It was only when I looked around that I saw a staff member there. Who likes being talked at? I know I don't. Nor did I like being called "sweetie", as it's a level of familiarity which I find inappropriate. [Unless you've built up a suitable level of rapport with a customer - or are River Song - don't do it. Just don't.] What impression did I take away of that store? That they have a great range, but the staff are going through the motions and don't care whether I visit or not. Which, when you have three stores within a matter of metres selling similar product, is not a sensible approach to building your business.

Last week I spoke of the importance of communication and the skills involved in listening, which speaks to the nature of customer service checklists: they're meaningless unless backed up with a genuine desire to provide great customer service.  

Whilst setting customer service standards is admirable, it's only the starting point. 


You need the right people. 
This mean people who like people. As obvious as this sounds, there are countless sales assistants (and business owners) out there who don't. We've all come across them and the experience is invariably less than impressive. If you don't like people, you shouldn't be in retail.

Help your staff develop their customer service skills. 
Telling them what's required and why is only the beginning. This needs to be reinforced by showing them what's expected, giving them feedback when they fall short and showing them how to do better next time, and helping them to understand their customers' needs. Great customer service is a skill, requiring practice and ongoing development. 

Value the little things.
I love visiting stores and discussing all things retail. After a recent visit to a store in regional Victoria (the very fine Foster's Little Bookshop) I received an email from the owner, in which a very good point was made: the small things may not be at the front of a customer's conscious thought, but when they're not there, customers notice. 
What sort of things am I talking about? Stepping out from behind the counter to hand over the purchase; opening the door for a customer; offering to put an item aside or mail it out if a customer can't come in; letting the customer know they can exchange the item if it's not suitable...
It's the thought and care behind the little things which speaks to the sincerity of the service provided and which is appreciated by customers.

All this said, don't be put off establishing some basic customer service standards. It's important to let your staff know what your values are what's expected of them. However, appreciate that if all you're doing is providing a checklist, then you're only paying lip service to those values. Whether you want your staff to be warm bodies who do what they have to, or skilled assistants, is up to you. As with all things, you get out what you put in.

Does your store have defined customer service standards in place and, if so, how are they used? I'd love to hear from you.





No comments:

Post a Comment